Off Campus Work Permits

Off campus work permits can be obtained from the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC).  CIC encourages international students to apply for the permits online via their website as online application will help to speed up applications and minimize lost or missing documents. Please find below the link to CIC’s website:


Step by step guide to applying for an Off Campus Work Permit:

First, you must apply for an Electronic Passport or e-pass.   This will allow only you to enter your e-file on-line. Keep your ID and password in a safe place.

When you apply on-line you should have these documents available:

  • Your student number
  • Your Passport picture page and stamps of entry
  • Your CLIENT I.D. NUMBER  (This number is found on your STUDY PERMIT.  It is an 8-digit number.  You can find it BELOW your Country of Citizenship).

Second, once your e-pass is complete, you are then required to apply for an EVN (Eligibility Verification Number) from your college/university.  Check your e-pass for messages at the bottom every few days. You will be notified by e-mail in your e-pass account that your EVN has been approved by your college/university. Normal processing time for an EVN is 14 days.

Third, after you have received your EVN you can continue the next step of the application. “Copy” your EVN from your E-mail.  You will be presented with three options.  Select the option to apply for your Off-campus Work Permit.

To complete this portion of the application, you will need a scanned pdf file of the following documents handy:

  • Your passport "picture page"
  • Proof of payment. The Off-Campus Work Permit costs CAN$150, and you may choose to pay online via credit card or pay at the bank. If you choose to pay at the bank you must have a scanned copy of the payment form in pdf file and attach the file to your online application.

Fourth, if all the documents are complete and you meet the eligibility to apply for the permit you should receive your Off-Campus Work Permit via mail in 7 to 21 working days.


To be eligible for an Off Campus Work Permit, students must fulfill the following criteria:

  • Have been students in a full time program for six of the past 12 months. Note: A full time student is an individual who is enrolled in at least 70% of the semester course hours or 66 2/3% of the program subjects for the semester.
  • Students have paid their fees in full for the CURRENT /next semester.
  • Have a GPA of min. 2.5+ /4.00 with NO Failing grades, and NO Academic Violations for cheating or plagiarism.
  • Short term English course students (EAP or ESL) are not eligible to apply for Off Campus Work Permits.

The EVN from your College/University tells CIC that you have fulfilled the above mentioned obligations.  If you are denied an off-campus work permit, you will receive an email with an explanation as to why you were denied.

For further information on the Off-Campus Work Permit, you can call or visit CIC’s office at the following address:

CIC - 55 St. Clair East (St. Claire/ Yonge St.) | Tel: 1-888-242-2100