FAQ About Canada

Q: How is the weather in Canada?

A: Canada is famous for having a long winter, especially in the northern part of Canada, but Canada also has a lovely weather condition in fall, summer and spring. Many tourists come to Canada during these seasons.

Q: What is the average temperature in Canada?

A: Average temperature in Canada varies according to its location and season. For more information about Canada’s temperature please go to


Q: Where can I buy winter clothes?

A: It’s good to have at least one winter clothes when you come to Canada, but winter clothes and gears are available in department stores in Canada in the middle of the fall season (October).


Q: When is the start of each season in Canada?

A:   Winter    – 3rd week of December

      Spring    – 3rd week of March

      Summer – 3rd week of June

      Fall        – 3rd week of September


Q: How many provinces does Canada have?

A: Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories, which are:

  • Alberta (Edmonton)
  • British Columbia (Victoria)
  • Manitoba (Winnipeg)
  • New Brunswick (Fredericton)
  • Newfoundland and Labrador (St. John’s)
  • Northwest Territories (Yellowknife)
  • Nova Scotia (Halifax)
  • Nunavut (Iqaluit)
  • Ontario (Toronto)
  • Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown)
  • Québec (Québec City))
  • Saskatchewan (Regina)
  • Yukon (Whitehorse)


Q: What are the districts of the Greater Toronto Area?

A:  Toronto is made up of the former cities of East York, Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, Toronto and York.


Q: How good is the public transportation in Canada?

A: The public transportation in Canada is one of the best in the world. You can take subway, public busses and street cars.


Q: What is the currency in Canada?

A: Canada uses the Canadian dollar as its currency, with the following denomination: $100, 50, 20, 10, and 5. Canadian coins:

  • $2 - toonie
  • $1 - loonie
  • .25 - quarter
  • .10 - dime
  • .05 - nickel)
  • .01 - penny


Q: What is the official language of Canada?

A: Canada’s official languages are English and French. English is the major language in Canada except in Quebec, where most of the people speak French.




Q: What are the basic requirements to request a student visa?


  • You must have been accepted in a school, college, university or other education institute in Canada
  • You must confirm that you have enough money to pay for: Tuition fees, Living allowances for you and your member of family who lives with you in Canada, Return transportation for you and your family member who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen without criminal record and not a threat to the Canada’s safety. A certificate from the police may be needed.
  • You must have a good health. You may have to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must convince an immigration officer that you will depart from Canada after you have completed your education


Q: How long is the process from the college application to the issuance of student visa?

A: The evaluation of student’s application will take around five working days depending on the completeness of the required documents. The process for student visa will take three weeks to three months. So please apply for the acceptance at least four months before the classes start to avoid any lateness.


Q: Do every educational program in Canada need student visa?

A: A study permit is necessary for an international study to register in Canada education institution, except for these programs:

  • Programs with duration of six months or less, which can be accomplished within the period authorized by a visitor’s visa
  • A non-academic, non-professional and non-occupational courses, which can be accomplished within the period authorized by a visitor’s visa
  • Courses included in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourist
  • Nursery schools or kindergartens

If you took a six months program or less, and you plan to continue your studies in another program, you should apply for a student permit before coming to Canada. If you do not hold a student permit then you will have to apply for it from outside Canada.


Q: Can my student visa be canceled?

A: Yes, your student visa may be cancelled if you break any school rules or terms and conditions of your student visa, for example, but not limited to, the following:

  • If you perform any academic dishonesty and bad behavior, such as cheating and plagiarism
  • If you are no longer a full time student (International students are not allowed to have part time status in post-secondary institutions in Canada)
  • If you are caught working over the maximum hours without a proper job permit

Make sure you learn all your school rules and terms and conditions of your student visa.


Q: What if my visa expires but I haven’t completed my degree? Can I extent my visa?

A: Yes, your visa can be extended within Canada, as long as you are still studying.


Q: If I leave Canada during my studies, do I have to apply for a new student visa to re-enter Canada?

A: You may have a single-entry or multiple-entry student visa with some validity period. You must have a valid visa every time you enter Canada. If you have a singles entry visa, you will need to apply to re-enter and you can only do so outside Canada. If you have a multiple entry visa, you are allowed to re-enter without having to apply for a new visa.


Q: Do I need to take a medical exam to get a student visa?

A: Yes. You have to take a medical exam by doctors appointed by the Canadian Embassy.


Q: Is there any interview section before the issuance of a visa?

A: Yes, an interview will be conducted by the Canadian Embassy when needed.


Q: What happens if they don’t approve my student visa application?

A: You have two choices, you can re-apply a student visa to the Canadian embassy or you can ask for a refund for your tuition fees from the college.


Q: What are the common reasons for a student visa application to be rejected?

A: To know the reasons please see article: Top Ten Reasons for a Visa Denial by Cecil Rotenberg.